Sunday, January 27, 2008

Blog Poste Trois- Iago the addict

Iago is most definately a moral pyromaniac, and I agree so wholeheartedly with the term pyromanic to describe him, since he is infact the devil.

I don't ever see, when Iago sees his war against his peers as a game, I more see it as though it is somekind of addiction. I feel this because while, yes, it is a fiction work it is based in reality and having a person do something of Iago's nature wouldn't ever be thought of as a game. People have been known to become addicted to war, though, and I think that as an explanation of Iago's actions this holds more water.
Or, if not an addiction to war, at least some better driving force than sport. He first gives reason as some sort of revenge, or for his job, and that engenders the thought, but as his plan becomes more and more complex he begins to invent reasons (Othello and Emelia), and he goes crazy.

Writers, I notice, often change in the middle of composing a piece. Usually it is either irrelevant or in the shadows of the work so it really doesn't matter.

Iago very early made this change because he writes the actions of the other characters in his first monologue and first soliloquy.

I know this post is disorganized and even contradictory, but I'm ok with that.

2 comments:

Le Pamplemousse. said...

I really liked the comment you left me. I think it's really interesting that you are so whole-heartedly convinced that Iago is the devil because, though I know we refer to him as such all the time, I almost think that he is one of the most human characters in Othello. Certainly in terms of complexity and weakness. You yourself say that Iago had an addiction to what he was doing. Wouldn't an immortal being be exempt from such a tragically human pitfall? Similarly, he admits his greatest fault is jealousy, another trait I feel like the literal devil would not possess...he (or she) has got to be too pompous.
As for the game, I say that he wins, because I think that he does, but I don't think he gains anything from it. I agree with you, I don't think he is fulfilled or satisfied or happy or smug...which adds this whole other level of complexity.
Why did he do it?

Sidda said...

...I disagree.